Preparations Begin for New Buildings
Posted: August 21, 2017
Dear Ford House Guest,
I’m excited to share with you the important enhancements that are coming to the Edsel & Eleanor Ford House!
In the fall of 2017, construction will begin for a new Visitor Center and Administration Building. Our reason for the new buildings is three-fold. First, we will be able to move daily operation of the estate out of the historic buildings, allowing us to restore and bring areas that are currently not accessible for viewing into the visitor experience. Second, we will reduce our carbon footprint by operating a net-zero administration building and a LEED visitor center. Third, we will be able to better serve our visitors by bringing you:
- • A dedicated education wing with two classrooms and outdoor learning space
- • Traveling and changing exhibits
- • An orientation gallery and theatre to tell an expanded story about the Ford Family and their home
- • A second floor programming space with floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking Ford Cove
- • Expanded retail with more merchandise reflecting the art, architecture and landscape of the estate
- • Expansion of the popular Cotswold Café, including outdoor seating with a view of Lake St. Clair.
We thank you for your patience as we work to create a richer, more dynamic and immersive experience for you. We hope you will take a moment to visit our website to learn more about the project and follow the progress. Or follow us on Facebook, Instagram (@eefordhouse) or Twitter (@fordhouse) for updates.
While we work to build for the future, please continue to visit the estate. Take a tour, stroll the grounds, enjoy a picnic, attend a bird walk, or participate in one of our many events and programs.
And, watch for special opportunities to go "behind-the-construction" to see what we are building. Stay tuned for more details!
President & CEO